OF MICE AND MEN
BLOG - INSTRUCTIONS
As we read the novel Of Mice and Men this semester, you are going to be keeping an “online journal”, also known as a “blog”.
You will be creating your own blog, along with posting one blog entry for each weekly reading assignment.
Since this is your opportunity to design your blog as you please, you can add pictures, links to different websites, video clips, streaming audio, and be creative as you wish! Think of this as your online commonplace book. You can get as creative as you like, but you must be sure to connect your blog to the weekly reading assignment along with following your weekly blogging assignment.
Please be sure to share your blog with family members so they can see your hard work and creativity each week!
Directions for weekly blogging assignments:
1. CHECK WEEBLY FOR WEEKLY WRITING ASSIGNMENTS
2. CHOOSE A QUESTION TO WRITE ABOUT
3. WRITE AND PRINT YOUR BLOG ENTRY TO HAVE IT EDITED FOR OF EACH WEEK (Conventions groups!)
4. POST YOUR EDITED BLOG ENTRY WITH A PHOTO, VIDEO, IMAGE, OR PODCAST THAT CONNECTS TO YOUR BLOG ENTRY
6. COMMENT ON A CLASSMATE'S BLOG ENTRY (Find the document for commenting below)
7. HAVE FUN, BE CREATIVE, AND DIG DEEP!
BLOG COMMENT SHEET:
HOW TO COMMENT ON A CLASSMATE'S BLOG:
HOW TO MAKE A TUMBLR BLOG: (please be sure to put your initals and ESISWP (Example: "MFESISWP" for Ms. Foppiano ESIS Writer's Portfolio)
- Work hard and dig deep. While this project will give you the opportunity to respond to the book using (in part) non-verbal means, your entries are still expected to be thoughtful and serious. In the novel there are many things happening on the surface, yet there’s the deeper meaning to the characters and events. Ultimately I want for each of you to try and make some connection to that deeper meaning. You will be graded on your creativity and your ability to dig deep.
- Use the writing skills learned in class. Please be sure to be mindful of your writing skills, as you must incorporate the writing skills learned in class into your blog writing. Pay attention to the tasks asked of you each week.
- Edit your work. Be sure to have your work edited before it is sent. Points will be deducted from work that is not edited.
- Comment on the work of others. You must respond to at least one of your classmate’s comments each week. Please be mindful of your comments and answer in an intelligent and thoughtful manner. Comments that are silly, sarcastic, or pointless with be deleted, and you will therefore get a zero for that part of your grade.
- Late blogs will not be accepted. If Internet is not working or if your dog ate your computer, you must respond have your blog ready to be read by your classmates for each Friday. Be a problem solver!
- Keep it appropriate. Part of what you do in an English class is learn to better articulate your thoughts. The use of profanity is inarticulate – it’s why we use it when we’re frustrated, we can’t find the right words. Don’t post anything profane or offensive. If you have any questions as to appropriateness, ask me. Any posted work that is offensive or inappropriate will result in a 0% and a written letter will go to administration and your parents.